ACHIEVEMENT REPORT OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY & CLIMATE CHANGE DEPARTMENT FOR THE PERIOD 10.05.2022 TILL DATE
The Government of Assam is giving utmost priority towards application of science and technology and creating an innovation ecosystem in the state for overall development. Assam Science Technology & Environment Council (ASTEC), Assam Energy Development Agency (AEDA), Guwahati Biotech Park (GBP) and Assam State Space Appliction Centre (ASSAC) as part of Science, Technology & Climate Change Department are playing important in this endovour.
Assam Science Technology and Environment Council (ASTEC) :
1. Chief Minister’s Institutional Plantation Programme (CMIPP): In line with the 75th years of Independence (Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav), the Science, Technology and Climate Change Department, Govt. of Assam initiated Chief Minister's Institutional Plantation Programme (CMIPP) a State-wide programme which was announced by the Honourable Minister Science, Technology & Climate Change on 5th June on the occasion of World Environment Day, 2022.Chief Minister’s Institutional Plantation Programme (CMIPP)commenced with the ceremonial launching on 17thMay,2022 at Janata Bhawan by Honourable Chief Minister Dr. HimantaBiswa Sarma. Around 2,50,000 saplings were planted under this initiative for creating awareness for collective participation in climate change mitigation.
2. 1stParivesh Mitra Honours : The honours were given to 10 eminent personalities working in the field of environment conservation on 15thAugust, 2022 in the presence of Hon’ble Minister, Science Technology & Climate Change Department, Govt. of Assam, at Jorhat Science Centre & Planetarium.
3. National Conclave on “Science & Technology Empowerment of Tribal Community:
To commemorate Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas (National Tribal Day) under the initiative of Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India, National Conclave for Science & Technology Empowerment of Tribal Community was held successfully on 11th and 12th November 2022 in IIT Guwahati. The event was hosted by the ASTE Council in collaboration with IITG, IASST and NECTAR. Ministry of Tribal Affairs also extended collaboration where 500 delegates including hosts of dignitaries have participated in the event. The conclave aimed at bringing out strategies and recommendations for strengthening the institutional and Human Capacity (both at community and individual levels) for the comprehensive development of Tribal Communities through Science and Technology.
The Hon’ble Union Minister of Science and Technology & Earth Science, Dr. Jitendra Singh chaired the Inaugural Ceremony on 11th November 2022 and Hon’ble Union Minister of Tribal Affairs, Shri Arjun Munda participated as the Chief Guest. On 12th November 2022 in the valedictory function Hon’ble Minister of Science & Technology of Assam Shri Keshab Mahanta participated as the Chief Guest.
4. Patent Information Centre (PIC) : PIC-ASTEC has facilitated the GI registration process of ‘Gamosa of Assam’. The GI for Gamosa of Assam was approved on 12th December 2022 by the Geographical Indication Registry, Government of India.
5. Inauguration of District Science Centre & Planetarium, Nalbari : Hon’ble Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma inaugurated the centre on 6th December 2022.